Get Organised Before Selling Your SESKU Property

Selling a property often marks the start of a new chapter in your life, but it’s not all estate agents and packing boxes. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of admin involved and having the necessary documents is a must. Today we go through these documents.

The professionals involved in selling your home will need various paperwork to get your sale completed, so it’s best to be organised.
Here are the documents you’ll need before selling.
1) Proof of identity

Estate agents, lenders and solicitors will all need proof of identity. Make sure your passport and driving licence are in date and have your most recent bank statements or utility bills to hand for proof of address.
2) Energy Performance Certificate

Legally, you can’t sell your home without one, so check here to find your property’s. An EPC expires after ten years, so if you’re selling an older property you may need to arrange an appointment with an energy assessor.
3) Land Registry titles

All properties should be registered with the Land Registry. If you can’t find copies of these from when you first purchased your property you can pay £3 for a copy here.
4) Leasehold information

If you’re selling a flat, it may be a leasehold property so you’ll need to provide this information to your solicitor. Leasehold documents outline the length of the lease, details of the freeholder, service charges, ground rent and so on.
5) Building Regulations certificates (and planning permission)

Where you’ve extended your property or made significant changes, you need to provide proof that you’ve had the relevant permissions and checks made. If you didn’t obtain official consent, then this needs to be detailed for your solicitor.
Other helpful documentation:

These documents are not legally required but they may help move things along.
  • Gas safety certificate
  • Electrical certification (to prove any works done meet safety standards)
  • Window certification (FENSA or CERTASS)
  • Warranties (for new homes under ten years old, for any newly installed fixtures or fittings)
  • Party wall agreements
If you’re selling your home, get in touch with us for a friendly chat.